Security Basics mailing list archives

Telnet Security Question for a Router.

From: "Tony Toni" <tony572000 () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 02:45:43 +0000

We were currently wrote up by our external auditors because we use telnet to access all of our routers. In some cases we use a filtered Telnet service...but that is not the normal practice. We are a fairly good size company with about 1000+ routers.

I am charged with coordinating a response to the auditors. I know all of the security issues involved with Telnet...ie login id and password sent across the network in clear text, etc. My question: Is it possible to use SSH or CISCO TACACS+ to encrypt the entire Telnet session? Is there a way to ensure no one can sniff the login id and password? The Network Services Group is adamant that neither SSH or CISCO TACACS+ will work on a router to correct the security issue.

Tony CIA,CISA,CDP,MBA
Security and Audit Services
Nations Banking & Trust

PS: I have been playing phone tag with the auditor that wrote us up...to see what they recommend...have not reached him yet.