Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Wireless LAN detection

From: "Talisker" <offthecuff () lineone net>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 21:59:04 -0000

Ron
I recently included a page on my website with wireless security tools
http://www.networkintrusion.co.uk/wireless.htm
There are a plethora of tools out there for your task, the simplest method
is using netstumbler with a GPS feeding into MS MapPoint that way you don't
need to carry out an overt check just carry your laptop/pda in a bag and war
around.  The result will be a streetmap with color points  signifying signal
strength.  It is very easy to ascertain the approximate location of the
Access Point, local investigation with a parabolic antenna will home in on
the offending AP still further.

Hope this helps
take care
-andy