Security Basics mailing list archives

FW: Telnet Security Question for a Router.

From: "Stephen Wilcox" <stephenwilcox () universalcomputersys com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 11:25:40 -0600

Telnet is not encrypted but you can prevent the packets from being send in
clear text if your equipment supports the following:

SNMPv3

Authenication is based on the Username, MD5, or SHA.

Encryption has two options: none or DES

This is the most secure of the possible models.  It allows the security be
defined in the following places: SNMP-Server Host, SNMP-Server Groups and
SNMP-Server Users

SNMP-Server Host

It allows three levels of authentication: {noauth | auth | priv}

.       Noauth - Specifies no authentication of a packet
.       Auth - Specifies authentication of a packet without encrypting it
.       Priv - Specifies authentication of a packet with encryption by scrambling
it

Command - snmp-server host (ip address of snmp server) version 3 priv
(community name)

SNMP-Server Groups

It allows three levels of authentication: {noauth | auth | priv}

.       Noauth - Specifies no authentication of a packet
.       Auth - Specifies authentication of a packet without encrypting it
.       Priv - Specifies authentication of a packet with encryption by scrambling
it

It allows two levels of view: {read | write}

.       Read - A string (up to 64 characters) that allows you to view the contents
of the agent only
.       Write - A string (up to 64 characters) that allows you to write the
contents of the agent

It allows access control lists to permit or deny availability
Command - snmp-server group (group name) v3 priv read (read name) access
(access-list)
And
Command - snmp-server group (group name) v3 priv write (write name) access
(access-list)

SNMP-Server User

It allows two levels of authentication: {auth | Priv}

.       Encrypted - Specifies whether a password appears in encrypted format
.       Auth - Initiates an authentication level setting session
o       MD5 - The HMAC-MD5-96 authentication level
o       SHA - The HMAC-SHA-96 authentication level
.       Priv - The option that initiates a privacy authentication level setting
session
o       Des56 - The CBC-DES privacy authentication algorithm

It allows access control lists to permit or deny availability

Command - snmp-server user (user name) (group name) encrypted auth sha
(password) priv des56 (password) access (access-list)