Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: TOTAL WIRELESS SECURITY

From: <jove () gaza halo nu>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 08:58:33 -0600 (CST)

Hello Bart,

        It seems that you are taking the reactive approach.  If this is
necessary due to policies then you are going to have a very hard time
being able to track individual users of mobile communication devices
within the building without some sort of triangulation.  However there is
a proactive approach to implementing this policy.

        There exist technologies which key-up over the transmitting power
of these mobile devices, and effectively interfere with any rf signals
entering the building.  This creates a sort of "black hole" for rf
signals effectively disabling mobile communications.  I believe canada was
considering an implementation of this within their movie theatres.  The
main reason they were not able to implement this AFAIK was due to legal
reasons, something along the lines of if there's an emergency which occurs
and the land lines are not working then you would have been responsible
for preventing these people from getting help.  I am not a lawyer though
and would suggest talking to either a legal department or an attorney
knowledgable in this subject area.  Here's a link
http://www.ic.gc.ca/cmb/Welcomeic.nsf/261ce500dfcd7259852564820068dc6d/85256779007b82f485256a0a004da08f!OpenDocument

Cheers,
Jove