Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: TOTAL WIRELESS SECURITY

From: George Capehart <gwc () capehassoc com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 21:37:02 -0500

Rob Shein wrote:

Depends...if these areas are small and surrounded by places where cell
phones/pagers/etc flourish, there's just about no way. You're also going
to have a problem with cellular detection in that only law enforcement
is allowed to have devices that scan on those frequencies.  A better bet
might merely be jamming them all, but that is also illegal under FCC
regulations.

Faraday cages and Tempest shields aren't.  Most institutions that I know
of that are serious about that solve the problem by RF-proofing the
areas they want to protect.  Try using a cell phone or pager in some
sensitive areas of some of the larger banks . . .  ;-)