Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: I love you Author evidence ?

From: BlueBoar () THIEVCO COM (Blue Boar)
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 09:15:13 -0700

Joe wrote:

On Sun, 7 May 2000, Jordan Dimov wrote:

But anyway...  How important is it really to know the author?  And now the
FBI is tracking the worm?  Come on, give me a break.  Someone on
securityfocus.com said it best - busting 15 year old script kiddies just
makes us all look stupid.

Please tell me you're not serious? How on earth can busting someone that
caused this much damage be considered stupid?

Not busting them, and busting them -hard-, means the next bored 15 year old
that considers doing something like this will have no reason not to.

OK, I let this through because it's only fair to allow dissenting
opinion after I let through the previous one.  We won't be having
a discussion here about what is proper punishment.  I thought the
evidence presented about who the author might be was interesting, but
I'm going to kill the rest of this thread.

                                        BB