Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Proxy stuff

From: "Mark D. Goldman" <bitshftr () adenine frognet net>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 13:20:17 -0500

On Thu, 21 Dec 2000, John Herron wrote:

Although this is more of a SecurityBasics topic, in theory couldn't you
just set up a telnet program/daemon/whatever (atleast on a windows box, I
would think) you could just define that your ftp box or telnet box is ON
port 80.  From there just telnet to your computer on port 80 (which would
be allowed through the firewall) and you'd get access like normal to your
desired computer.

Thats my question atleast, is that possible? (To tell the daemon to
listen (like telnetd) on port 80 instead of 23?) --I know with lots of
ftp sites they sometimes pick oddball ports to listen to, is that the
same with *nix? (most of these ftp programs that are on odd ports I've
seen are windows based).

  This is an affermative.  Check your /etc/inetd.conf file under linux.

And to further answer the original posters question, if your talking
about can YOU from YOUR box get out on another port and somehow bypass
the firewall, most likely not.  I think even if you set your proxy
differently you'd still be going THROUGH the firewall which is the
blocker anyway, so you can't really setup YOUR PC to do this, you'd have
to have a PC on the outside to go to through an accepted port and from
THERE you can go wherever you want to.

  -- SNIP --

bitshftr () frognet net
http://www.frognet.net/~bitshftr