Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: EMC Symmetrix SAN

From: Joseph Spears <Joseph.Spears () EPIT COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 09:46:43 -0800

When I worked on an EMC (not for EMC, mind you... just on an implementation
at another company).... I remember thinking, "Why would you put the
management console on the net?"

Since nothing is secure, and with EMC, VSS, and XPseries stuff you put all
your eggs in one basket... And if it isn't secured (like the "Mainframe" in
Mission Impossible)... life could be very bad.

I would actually be more concerned about DOS if someone rooted it. Erasing
Terabytes of data.... how long would recovery take? I mean.... if they were
"searching" for something, it could take forever. You still take a chance of
them stealing your data or erasing it on a per-machine basis for everything
wired on the net.... but that is a risk we all have to deal with....

I think the solution is to keep the fibrechannel and scsi cables as the only
point in... and  use my operations staff through phone calls and training
while I am offsite and physically going to the machine otherwise. (I know a
lot of us telecommute, but sometimes sanity must dictate....)

Your friendly paranoid sysadmin,

Joe