Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Proxy stuff

From: Stian Myhre <niggah () ONLINE NO>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 17:02:50 +0200

Grzegorz Jaskiewicz writes:
I have got a question:
Is there any possibileties of braking usable ports limitation, what i
mean
is My company has instaled proxy that will not put me throught any other
port than 80 and 25. Is there still any possibilety of use telnet ftp
(on
their own ports) ?

The answer is yes and no.
 Yes, it can be done if you have another computer outside of your network
that can act as an intermidiate. In other words, there is a computer on
the
Internet that you can telnet to on port 80, and then from there, telnet to
another host. As for FTP, you could FTP top this "bastion host" on an
allowed
port and have it automatically forward your FTP requests to a predifined
server.

No, this can't be done without a bastion host that is accessible by you on
the Internet. Also, I don't recommend you trying to circumvent your
employer's security measures, as it will likely lead to termination when
the
proxy shows the types of traffice you have flowing across those ports.

there is another way. you can make your proxie connect to another proxie
which
have the abililty to use the CONNECT mode.
get the program HTTPort ( http://www.technetva.com/httport/ )
It can tunnel connections through an proxy.

second way. if the ftp happens to be your own, change the port to 25 or 80.

-Njack

Deven Phillips, CISSP
Information Security Officer
Viata Online, Inc.