Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Linksys 4-port Router NAT/Firewall

From: Ed Padin <epadin () WAGWEB COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 17:17:31 -0400

I have a friend using the Linksys router for RAS/PPOE on a bell atlantic DSL
connection. I scanned his with nmap and all tcp ports where closed and in
'stealth mode' so that no reponses where sent about closed ports. UDP was
another story. I was able to quickly scan the first 1448 ports with nmap and
got the following:

Interesting ports on  (X.X.X.X):
(The 1442 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
Port       State       Service
67/udp     open        bootps
69/udp     open        tftp
520/udp    open        route
1080/udp   open        socks <---- hmmm....
1083/udp   open        ansoft-lm-1
1084/udp   open        ansoft-lm-2

It didn't even throttle the ICMP port closed packets the way Solaris and
other unices do so nicely.

I'm not sure what's exploitable here and if anything really is listening..
It's so hard to tell with UDP. I tried using netcat to connect to each port
but could net get it to send me back any data. It could be that it just
doesn't send an ICMP port unreachble for these ports.