Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Linksys 4-port Router NAT/Firewall

From: "Litscher, Steven" <Steven.Litscher () OJA STATE WI US>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 13:00:37 -0500

Greetings All,

I recently purchased a Linksys 4-port router (BEFSR41) for use with my
soon-to-be-growing home network (it's only 2 pc's right now).  I'm extremely
new to networking, so please forgive me if these questions are too
elementary...

1) Is the firewall that comes with the router safe enough that I don't have
to continue using software firewalls (ZoneAlarm)?
2) I went to grc.com and received "Stealth" status with just the router
running.  However, grc doesn't probe high port numbers.  Is the router
effective at blocking high port numbers like B02K, Sub-7, etc?
3) Does anyone have any experience with this router and have some tips they
could share?
4) Does anyone have any links to some good sites (other than grc and
robertgrahm) for tips on firewall configuration?

I've upgraded the firmware and performed the tips that Linksys recommends
for securing the router (changed admin password, etc).

I appreciate your help and enjoy the topics on this list.  Great job,
SecurityFocus!

Best wishes,
Steve