Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Linksys 4-port Router NAT/Firewall

From: Jonathan Rickman <jonathan () XCORPS NET>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 22:46:49 -0400

There's absolutely no reason not to run ZA on your Windows boxen behind
the firewall. It's free...stops trojans dead in their tracks(something the
fw can't do)...and it doesn't really impact system performance. As far as
the security of the Linksys router, It's pretty tight from what I
have seen. Careful with the reset button though. On the unit I tested, it
reset the password to the default.  If you're really paranoid, leave the
internal IP of the router out of your ZA "trusted" local hosts config.
Treat it as an Internet host. Of course, posting the question to this
particular list may have the effect of placing the Linksys product in the
crosshairs of some pretty capable developers...

Jonathan Rickman
X-Corps Security
http://www.xcorps.net