Snort mailing list archives

Compiling problem with Mandrake 9

From: Fabiano Bracaloni <fabiano.bracaloni () fastwebnet it>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 19:19:12 +0100

Hi All,
I'm a dummy of snort , and I have downloaded the snort v. 1.9.1.tar.gz
When I try to configure snort with the command line:
./configure --with-mysql, the result is:
 ERROR!  Libpcap library/headers not found, go get it from
   http://www.tcpdump.org/
   or use the --with-libpcap-* options, if you have it installed
   in unusual place
But I have installed the libpcap v 7 in /usr/lib and tcpdump work very well.
I have tried to edit the /etc/ld.so.conf and I have added the lines /usr/lib
/usr/local/lib and /usr/include, after I have run ldconfig and then I have
launched ./configure; but the result is the same.
I have tried to launch configure --with-libpcap-*, but the answer is:
configure: error: libpcap-*: invalid package name
So, my question is what is wrong?
Many Thanks in advance
Regards