Snort mailing list archives

Re: Upgrade Question

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 13:35:49 -0500

All I did on my OpenBSD box was this:

First I downloaded the tarball and built a fresh copy, but I skipped the "make install" step.

tar -xzf snort.1.9.1.tar.gz
cd snort-1.9.1
./configure
make

I kept my same startup scripts that fire up snort when they system boots, but I had to merge my snort.conf settings from the old version into the new one by hand.

I then blew away all my old rules and conf files and replaced them with the 1.9.1 versions. Be sure to get all the .rules files, snort.conf and classification.config.

Finally I copied the new snort binary over top of my old one, and killed snort and fired up the new one. I had made a typo in the snort.conf so I had to fix that and try again to get it up and running.