Secure Coding mailing list archives

Could I use Java or c#? [was: Re: re-writing college books]

From: sasa at pheniscidae.tvnetwork.hu (SZALAY Attila)
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 12:20:00 +0100

Hi All,

On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 10:20 +1100, mikeiscool wrote:

You can definately get appropriate information via the stack trace
with java's exception handling. It's strange to see you say debugging
is _eaiser_ in c, typically people find it far easier in a managed
language :)

People are different. :))

I personally want to know what happens and I don't believe anything waht
I can't see. In C I can see the assembly code what (I hope) is a
deterministic thing. An interpreter is to big (to me) to think about it
as a deterministic thing. And yes, with ``normal'' bugs a managed
language could give me more possibility to find the place of the
problem. But I want to hope, that we don't commit normal bugs. :)

And with mysterious bugs, when you cannot reproduce it in a test system,
just the costumer some hundred miles away, I think that the stability of
the compiled code (and the core file what may created) is give more more
chance to find the right place.

That's a java applet; please don't judge Java the language based on
applets; they are a really bad representation. Serverside java will be
very effective and useful; what sort of client are you writing? Is it
a website or a desktop app? Even if it's a desktop app, perhaps look
to azureus to see a good, well running app written in java for the
desktop. There are others.

This is a desktop application in a client-server model.
I will look after azureus.