Secure Coding mailing list archives

Could I use Java or c#? [was: Re: re-writing college books]

From: michaelslists at gmail.com (mikeiscool)
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 23:23:06 +1100

On 11/6/06, SZALAY Attila <sasa at pheniscidae.tvnetwork.hu> wrote:
Hi All!

I read this thread and I little be afraid. I'm just ahead of a complete
rewriting of my program. The previous code was written in pure C (with
an OOP looks-like somewhere).

This program should run on Linux, freebsd and windows platform. This
program is a GUI, so it has a graphical interface too but do a lot of
computing and xml handling.

I know C the most, so C++ is the least step I have to do. But I'm
uncertain now that this is enough. When I have looked around for OO
alternatives the C# was dropped, because I couldn't find a
cross-platform graphical tools and Java was dropped because it's speed
and the possibilities of debugging problems.

Hold the phone ... What debugging problems? What _specific_ speed
issues? I'd be really surprised if your project couldn't be resolved
with java; what specific problems are you facing? What tests have you
run/consider to show that java's supposed "speed issues" will give you
trouble? If it's just xml processing I'd say efficient data structures
are what you care about, so java can help you there.

Is there any other alternatives or I left something or the C++ is the
only alternative for me?

Certainly not. If all else fails you can write memory-intensive stuff
in a dll and import it into one java or c#. It'll still be some
lower-level coding (in c++ or c or asm) but at least it'll be
isolated.

You'll need to explain your program more ...

-- mic