PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Staying motivated and keeping focus

From: nickd at funkyjesus.org (Nick Drage)
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 12:12:06 +0000

On Fri, Jan 08, 2010 at 08:04:59PM -0500, Adrian Crenshaw wrote:

I find myself sitting, listening to security podcasts (which in and of
itself is not bad) and playing desktop tower defense. I have tons of
ideas for new videos and articles but can't get myself motivated to
start on them.  What do others do to stay motivated and keeping
focused?

It's difficult, especially when you're looking at the tons of new ideas,
and realising how much time you could spend on them and still they'd be
tons left.  I'd recommend two tactics:

- If you've any ideas which have sat around for months, or even years,
  either delete them altogether, or put them on a completely separate
  list of ideas or projects that you'll somehow get around to if you win
  the state lottery, or end up bed bound for a year.

- Ensure you've a decent list of all the ideas then pick something, at
  random, and plan to spend just a few minutes on it.  After that, if
  you find yourself looking at the clock, move on; if not... well,
  you've found your motivation.

I'm looking into nootropics, but am a bit skeptical.

Chemistry, unfortunately, is not the answer to everything ;)

--
Bruce Schneier - wise words
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2010/01/airport_securit_12.html