PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Good router?

From: nutjob.ie at gmail.com (Pat Moloney)
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 20:42:25 +0000

Pat Moloney wrote:

Heres what we used for group broadband scheme. If you like your
embedded linux or want monowall or BSD.
http://www.routerboard.com/

Other boards (Very friendly and supportive comany)
http://www.pcengines.ch/alix.htm

I was using an old wrap2c as my gateway PC to stop my housemates doing
this.

Screenshot:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Nutjob.ie/Hogger#5179514516554863762

Arch Angel wrote:
Both the suggestions by Paul are the best of consumer and
non-consumer with the cost taken into consideration.  Nice small form
factor with the power of the non-consumer lines.

Another consideration if you have a spare computer is to get a pci
wireless card of choice and run Vyatta.  The cost is MUCH less than
that of the other solutions, but it is by no means the size ideal for
most people.  Vyatta is based on Debian, as well as providing some
great experience in commerical routing.

http://www.vyatta.com/

If cost is a concern look into Vyatta, but I honestly do love the
size of the Soekris and most so the dual PCI's were you can setup a
secure area and maybe a honey pot network :)

Hope this helps, and sorry I have been distant recently - Dealing
with some family issues - Don't worry I shall be back and forth to
cause chaos and evil mayhem :-)

-Robert

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 9:26 AM, Paul Asadoorian <paul at pauldotcom.com