PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Good router?

From: paul at pauldotcom.com (Paul Asadoorian)
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 10:40:02 -0500

Hey Chris,

Not certain what your budget is, but I've been playing around with
non-consumer grade stuff lately.  Its more expensive ($200-$300 /
router), but works so much better (++flash/RAM, ability to choose your
wifi chipset, etc...).  Check out:

http://routerboard.com/
http://www.pcengines.ch/alix.htm

The RouterStation looks awesome as well, ships with OpenWrt, w00t!  I've
done some routerboard532 hackings, its a great platform.

Anyone else tinkering with any of the above gear?

Cheers,
Paul

St4ckHOu5e wrote:
I am looking for a new router. I noticed on the forums that Paul
suggested a ASUS WL-500G premium because you can change out the broadcom
mini-pci card for an Atheros one but as I was researching the WL-500G
premium all I could find were the version 2s which apparently do not let
you change out the card. Is it still worth it if you can't change out
the card? I know that some opensource broadcom drivers were just release
but have read that there are still some problems. What are your
suggestion on a good router that I can install openwrt on, preferably
something with a good amount of ram and flash for messing around with,
maybe even a USB port or two. This is mostly for playing around with and
learning.

http://ubnt.com/products/rs.php look like it could be fun but I may
still be too much a noob for this :)

Thanks,