Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: ncat 5.10BETA handling of -l -p is not compatible with nc-1.10

From: Denys Vlasenko <vda.linux () googlemail com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 07:15:21 +0100

On Monday 11 January 2010 06:22, Kris Katterjohn wrote:
Whether nc or dd is more widely used utility does not appear to be
relevant to the discussion.

It seemed you compared changing nc's arguments to changing dd's.  dd is
everywhere and as been around for a very long time.  nc hasn't.  That seems
pretty relevant.

nc is around for about 15 years. Not old enouhg?

Out of
curiosity, how many Linux distros, BSDs and anything else install *Hobbit*'s
nc by default over something like OpenBSD nc?

I don't know. Anyway, OpenBSD, GNU and Nmap's implementations are now
*mutually* incompatible, thus claiming that old netcat is dead and buried
does not help one iota

You want compatibility with the traditional netcat and yet its rarely
installed by default.  When modern, incompatible netcats are installed in much
greater numbers than traditional nc

They are not just incomatible with hobbit's one, they are incompatible
between themselves.

, how is changing ncat going to accomplish anything?

If netcat clones will agree to not break compat gratuitously,
that would be a start. My netcat clone, for one, does. Yours does not.

- the incompatibility among "modern" netcats
still exists and is a problem for admins who write script using nc.

Ncat isn't even named nc.  That seems pretty clear to me.

Anyway, wouldn't many people who script with nc be using more modern arguments
since it's not the traditional netcat that's often installed?

There are no "more modern" arguments which are agreed upon. Every nc clone
broke compat IN DIFFERENT WAYS.

How about a little respect towards the original author?
Why not to keep stuff compatible relative to his version
at least as a gesture of respect?

I thought this was about script authors and usability frustration?

Yes, that is the primary reason.

--
vda