Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: ncat 5.10BETA handling of -l -p is not compatible with nc-1.10

From: Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 23:22:56 -0600

On 01/10/2010 10:58 PM, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
On Sunday 10 January 2010 18:11, Kris Katterjohn wrote:
On 01/10/2010 09:57 AM, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
On Sunday 10 January 2010 09:47, Kris Katterjohn wrote:
Do you understand why compatibility is important?
Do you understand why convenience is important?  We as authors and users
shouldn't be stuck with command arguments from over a decade ago
You answered my question. You do not understand why compatibility
is important. Thank God other depelopers do, and, for example,
coreutils dd is not going to become "more convenient" and ditch
its "stupid and non-standard" if=FILE style parameters.
I didn't realize the traditional nc was ever as ubiquitous as dd.

Whether nc or dd is more widely used utility does not appear to be
relevant to the discussion.

It seemed you compared changing nc's arguments to changing dd's.  dd is
everywhere and as been around for a very long time.  nc hasn't.  That seems
pretty relevant.

Out of
curiosity, how many Linux distros, BSDs and anything else install *Hobbit*'s
nc by default over something like OpenBSD nc?

I don't know. Anyway, OpenBSD, GNU and Nmap's implementations are now
*mutually* incompatible, thus claiming that old netcat is dead and buried
does not help one iota

You want compatibility with the traditional netcat and yet its rarely
installed by default.  When modern, incompatible netcats are installed in much
greater numbers than traditional nc, how is changing ncat going to accomplish
anything?

- the incompatibility among "modern" netcats
still exists and is a problem for admins who write script using nc.

Ncat isn't even named nc.  That seems pretty clear to me.

Anyway, wouldn't many people who script with nc be using more modern arguments
since it's not the traditional netcat that's often installed?

How about a little respect towards the original author?
Why not to keep stuff compatible relative to his version
at least as a gesture of respect?

I thought this was about script authors and usability frustration?

Unless something changes, I'm finally done with this overgrown discussion.

Kris Katterjohn