nanog mailing list archives

Re: 10g residential CPE

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom com>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 17:07:16 +0200

On 12/26/20 16:38, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

Considering my PC often saturates my 1000/1000 Internet access when downloading, I don't see why the 1GE NIC on PS5 wouldn't be the bottleneck if it's sitting on higher speed Internet access.

My experience with customers who've bought 1Gbps FTTH service is that on a good day, they may see 500Mbps. On average, they'll live somewhere between 180Mbps - 350Mbps, with a random spot-check. It's alright for providers who offer this to let their NOC's handle the problem, because most users are connected to the Internet wirelessly, using devices that do not require more than a couple of Mbps of bandwidth at a time.

Wired devices such as gaming consoles won't tell you anything more than how long it will take a download to complete. So you are not probably going to work out whether the PS5 is running at 1Gbps or 230Mbps, as long as your psyche is happy with the service you are buying from your provider.

Mark.