nanog mailing list archives

Re: 10g residential CPE

From: Mikael Abrahamsson via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 19:28:18 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 26 Dec 2020, Baldur Norddahl wrote:

I demonstrated that it is about buffers by showing the same download from a server that paces the traffic indeed gets the full 930 Mbps with exactly the same settings, including starting window size, and the same path (Copenhagen to Stockholm).

You demonstrated that it's about which TCP algorithm they use, probably.

They all respond very differently to increase in RTT vs loss.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1903.03852.pdf

Generally the Internet doesn't need more buffers, it needs less. If you have only FIFO available, configure it to tail-drop at 10ms or so, to help your customers with what they really care about, interactive performance.

I debloat my 1000/1000 with bidir 900/900 FQ_CODEL to avoid my downloads affecting my interactive performance.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se