nanog mailing list archives

Re: 10g residential CPE

From: Niels Bakker <niels=nanog () bakker net>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 22:22:31 +0100

* mike () mtcc com (Michael Thomas) [Fri 25 Dec 2020, 21:18 CET]:
On 12/25/20 11:34 AM, Niels Bakker wrote:
Gigabit speeds are about bursting.  Foreground activities like gaming, making online reservations, streaming won't take more than that, but anything faster is really nice to have when you're waiting for the odd software download to finish. (You may have noticed that they've been increasing in size this year.)

Wouldn't cpe that implements proper queuing disciplines be a lot simpler and cheaper? I got bit by that once when a friend was downloading a game and it. I flashed a router with openwrt and fiddled with their queuing nobs and everything was golden.

Let's take an example from earlier this year when Activision shipped a 180GB update to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare when they introduced the War Zone BR game mode update.

Download times:-

180GB at 100 Mbps: 4 hours
180GB at 1000 Mbps: 23 minutes

How will proper queuing disciplines possibly help here?

        -- Niels.