nanog mailing list archives

Re: 10g residential CPE

From: Niels Bakker <niels=nanog () bakker net>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 20:34:47 +0100

* mark.tinka () seacom com (Mark Tinka) [Fri 25 Dec 2020, 19:11 CET]:
I have a mate up the road who just paid for a 1Gbps FTTH service because it was the same price as a 100Mbps one. He generally lives between 900Kbps and 20Mbps.

Gigabit-level FTTH services for the home, I feel, have always been about marketing ploys from providers, because they know there is no practical way users can ever hit those figures from their homes.
[...]

Gigabit speeds are about bursting. Foreground activities like gaming, making online reservations, streaming won't take more than that, but anything faster is really nice to have when you're waiting for the odd software download to finish. (You may have noticed that they've been increasing in size this year.)

        -- Niels.