nanog mailing list archives

Re: [SHAME] Spam Rats

From: Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 22:30:09 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013, Julian DeMarchi wrote:

Customers use the range. They had a complaint to us that the IP was
listed by spamrats and thus the issue made it to my queue.

That frequently just means they've subscribed to one of the monitoring services that notifies you if your IPs have turned up on any DNSBL the monitoring service has ever heard of, sometimes including ones that have been shut down, domain snatched up by speculators, and wildcard A record installed pointing at an ads landing page.

Mail servers do need to have PTRs, but it is my _choice_ if my hosts
that do not send mail have PTRs or not. I would not expect anyone to
block my /24 for lack of PTRs on non-mail-sending hosts.

If they're not mail servers, how is the DNSBL listing impacting them (assuming anyone even uses spamrats)?

 Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
 Atlantic Net                |