nanog mailing list archives

Re: [SHAME] Spam Rats

From: Julian DeMarchi <julian () jdcomputers com au>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 13:10:48 +1000

On 01/10/2013 01:06 PM, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
Who uses it? Or did you see your IP listed in one of those multiple dnsbl
query sites and contacted them on general principles even though you didn't
see any actual bounced email that could be traced to a spam rats listing?

Customers use the range. They had a complaint to us that the IP was
listed by spamrats and thus the issue made it to my queue.

That said, it is best practice to set ptr records even for your unassigned
ip space

Mail servers do need to have PTRs, but it is my _choice_ if my hosts
that do not send mail have PTRs or not. I would not expect anyone to
block my /24 for lack of PTRs on non-mail-sending hosts.

--julian