nanog mailing list archives

Re: [arin-ppml] NAT444 rumors (was Re: Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...)

From: Zed Usser <zzuser () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 07:34:51 -0800 (PST)

--- On Fri, 2/18/11, Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> wrote:

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't some kind of
NAT/PAT going to be required to join the IPv4 and IPv6
domains in all foreseeable futures? If so, aren't we going
to have to deal with these issues in any case?

No, we need to move forward with IPv6 on all levels in
order to reduce the need for these solutions.
  Reduce, yes. Remove, no. Without a global cutoff date for the IPv6 transition, it's not like IPv4 is going to
disappear overnight. Furthermore, without any IPv4/IPv6 translation, the first IPv6 only networks are going to be
awfully lonely.

Joining the IPv4/IPv6 domains doesn't work out all that
well and a dependency on doing so is
broken in a number of ways, many of which are documented in
the draft.
  We agree that IPv4/IPv6 domain interoperability is broken, but it's not like we can ignore the issue. So, unless I'm
very much mistaken, the NAT/PAT issues are going to have to be dealt with. Or do you propose an alternative solution?

Please note that this is not an anti-IPv6 stance. To me it looks like the problems plaguing NAT444 need to be solved
just to make IPv4 and IPv6 co-exist. Perhaps not the very same problems, but similar NAT/PAT problems in any case.
Please do tell me I'm wrong. Bonus points for explaining why I am wrong or how the IPv4/IPv6 thing is to be solved
without NAT/PAT.

- Zed