nanog mailing list archives

Re: Redundant AS's

From: Randy Bush <randy () psg com>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 08:44:23 -0700

It takes me about 3-5 hours of work to track down and get an old
unused ASN to be deallocated.  How about updating the 2010 charging
model so that LIRs that return ASNs are compensated?

I don't think this is a good way of using RIR funds.  Why should the
old guys receive even more special treatment?  RIPE's charging scheme
already discriminates heavily against newcomers.

beancounters know how cut expenses, not how to increase sales.  thus,
they (though well-meaning) shrink the company and eventually drive it
into the ground.

the real path is to move forward, increase income, and grow.

perhaps there is a lesson here.  move on to 4-byte asns.

randy