nanog mailing list archives

RE: Fiber cut in SF area

From: David Barak <thegameiam () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 16:35:12 -0700 (PDT)

From: Peter Beckman
Subject: RE: Fiber cut in SF area
  Total cost...is about $3000 per mile for
equipment

I get the feeling you haven't deployed or operated large
networks.  You never did say what the multiplier
was.  How many miles or detection nodes there
were.  Think millions.  The number that popped
into my head when thinking of active detection measures for
the physical network is $billions.

AT&T: 888,000 route miles(1).
Verizon: 485,000 route miles(2).

If we assume that 1/4 of AT&T and Verizon's route-miles are in the US(3), this would mean a capital expense of $666M
and $364M respectively, not including any costs incurred for maintenance, monitoring, repair, false positive etc.  In
addition, as has been noted, this system wouldn't PREVENT a failure, it would just give you some warning that a failure
may be coming, probably by a matter of minutes.

In the words of Randy Bush, "I encourage my competitors to do this."

David Barak
Need Geek Rock?  Try The Franchise:
http://www.listentothefranchise.com

1) http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=4800&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=26554
2) http://mediumbusiness.verizon.com/about/network.aspx
3) I believe this to be an underestimate.