nanog mailing list archives

Re: Fiber cut in SF area

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 21:34:13 -0400

On Apr 13, 2009, at 8:31 PM, Peter Lothberg wrote:

There are three solutions to the problem;

        A: Put a armed soldier every 150ft on the fiber path.

        B: Make the infrstructure so redundant that cutting things
           just makes you tired, but nothing hapens.

        C: Do nothing.

As the society becomes more and more dependent on the infrastructure
for electronic communication, my suggestion to policy makers has been
that it should be easier to imprison all the government officials of a
contry than knocking out it's infrastrcture.

I certainly think this trailer is the most insightful thought of the day.

When you're looking for backup comms, is it just going to be the ham radio operators and am/fm radio stations left if there were some outage? With tv having gone digital it's not possible to tune in and pick up the audio carrier anymore. Wartime and times of civil unrest the first thing you do is take over communication to the citizens. Without your internet^Wpodcast of the news, how will you know what is going on? If redundancy is sacrificed in the name of better quarterly earnings is it the right decision?

this is not only interesting from a network operators perspective but from a governance perspective as well. I've not done any ham radio stuff for ~15+ years but do keep a shortwave radio around (battery powered of course).

The first thing to happen will be the network will be severed. Look at what happened in Burma. Both their internet links were turned off, and not just taking down BGP, but the circuits were unplugged.

        - jared