nanog mailing list archives

Re: NAP Architecture

From: Richard Mataka <mataka () telehouse com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 12:46:00 -0500

[In the message entitled "Re: NAP Architecture" on Oct 29,  8:25, "Ben
Kirkpatrick, ELI" writes:]
   Forgive my ignorance on these matters, but why haven't many NAPS tried
to be L1 based, or at least provide the option of private wire/fiber
between the larger customers in the same room.  It seems to me that this
would significantly reduce the complexity and packet-loss we're currently
seeing.  How long would it take to troubleshoot a cross-over FE compared
to trouble shooting two routers connected via a oversubscribed switch.
   Marketing types are concerned about how to bill and track these, but
there should be some easy ways around those issues.

This is a critical issue now.  MFS is charging up to $1000 per 50'
stretch of wire, for cross-connects between consenting parties at
mae-west.

I think this is bit high, for $27 worth of wire, and $300 worth of
labour.

Is there a way that we can collectively negotiate a lower rate for private
cross connects at the maes?

Being a neutral colo facility, we decided not to charge for interconnects
between ISPs....it facilitates the interconnectivity and enhances our NAP
and provides backup in case of failure.  So far, it has been accepted by a
majority of our colo customers.

Rick
http://www.telehouse.com