Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: NSF and the Birth of the Internet

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 14:57:58 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak () dimebank com>
Date: August 19, 2008 2:57:00 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:      NSF and the Birth of the Internet

David Farber wrote:

Note that MIT's ITS machines were online under TCP on the flag day, which was NOT true of berkeley unix, though they got the bugs out of their implementation pretty quickly.

Eh? I'm fairly certain that both of our VAXen at Purdue-CS were online before and during flag day; one running 4.1c and one running Rob Gurwitz's 4.1 TCP... and both were running my in-host gateway, so our proNET and 10mbps ethernet were connected as well.

Maybe the VAXen at Berkeley had problems, but that's a different issue :-)