Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: NSF and the Birth of the Internet

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 16:32:02 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jim Thompson <jim () netgate com>
Date: August 19, 2008 3:29:11 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: wendyg () pelicancrossing net, "Michael Slavitch" <slavitch () gmail com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:       NSF and the Birth of the Internet

I still have my 3 ring binder copy of the USENET Cookbook sitting next to my copy of How To Cook Everything* and The Graduate Students Guide To Indian Cooking. Like all armies early Internet users travelled on their stomachs.

The archive of the USENET Cookbook is located here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20070429112607/http://ftp.digital.com/pub/recipes/

*It is a name full of hubris given that the USENET Cookbook has recipes for both milobinder and muskrat (once considered to be fish on fridays in the upper peninsula).

http://web.archive.org/web/20050114014940/ftp.digital.com/pub/recipes/truffles-milo
http://web.archive.org/web/20070923040014/ftp.digital.com/pub/recipes/muskrat-1

The pavlova recipe is lovely.

which one?
http://web.archive.org/web/20050113031805/ftp.digital.com/pub/recipes/pavlova-1
http://web.archive.org/web/20050113031253/ftp.digital.com/pub/recipes/pavlova-2

As for USENET over TCP/IP (with or without NNTP as a transport), USENET would have failed to grow as it did without its "articles" being transported over TCP, first as UUCP over TCP (typically using UUCP's 'g' protocol, which punted any error correction to the TCP layer (see, for example, RFC 850) or later, NNTP (RFC 977).

No modem would have kept up with USENET's growth, though for a while I operated 4 Telebit trailblazer modems
in a multi-link PPP arrangement.

Jim