funsec mailing list archives

Re: Was the ClimateGate Hacker Justified? Join the Debate!

From: Martin Tomasek <tomasek () ufe cz>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 11:51:54 +0100

Rich Kulawiec wrote:
Can you -- generic you -- right here, right now, without any help,
state the three laws of thermodynamics, give an example of a perturbation
function, explain the carbon dioxide phase diagram, and solve a partial
differential equation?   If not, then you really should not be trying
to express an opinion on global warming.  You're as clueless about it
as I am about Italian poetry.

Trying to impress? Well.. I would add following:

1) Can you measure temperature with error less than 0.1C?
2) Do you know about how big is measurement uncertainty for your data?
3) Do you know that satellite temperature measurements are models,
calibrated by ground temperature?
4) Do you know that most of temperature measurement is done in urban
areas, biasing the measurement?
5) Do you know something about 'butterfly effect'? (great differences in
state trajectories by some time, which reduces prediction horizont of
your model, depending on measurement error)
6) Do you know that reality is more real than any model?

I am quite sure most of IPCC climate scientists won't pass even 3 of
these 6 points. :-((

--
Martin Tomasek

"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither." --Benjamin Franklin