funsec mailing list archives

PayPal Admits to Phishing!!!

From: "Randy Abrams" <abrams () eset com>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 10:08:35 -0800

I blogged this at the ESET site. I replied to an actual, legitimate
PayPal email and complained to them that by including links in it they
make it look exactly like a phishing email. The response to seeing a
copy of their own, legitimate email?

-------------------------------------
Hello Randy Abrams,

Thanks for forwarding that suspicious-looking email. You're right - it
was a phishing attempt, and we're working on stopping the fraud. By
reporting the problem, you've made a difference!

Identity thieves try to trick you into revealing your password or other
personal information through phishing emails and fake websites. To learn
more about online safety, click "Security Center" on any PayPal webpage.

Every email counts. When you forward suspicious-looking emails to
spoof () paypal com, you help keep yourself and others safe from identity
theft.

Your account security is very important to us, so we appreciate your
extra effort.

Thanks,

PayPal

Yes, PayPal claims their own email is a phishing attempt!
To their credit, the reply contained no links :)

Cheers,

Randy