funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] U.S. 'State Secrets' Case May Get Airing

From: Dave Dittrich <dittrich () u washington edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 16:39:37 -0700

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 08:18:46 CDT, Dennis Henderson said:

Maybe the ACLU should change their name to STCLU Suspected terrorists Civil
Liberties Union

They certainly aren't working for Americans much these days.

That's because the ACLU understands the concept of "slippery slope" better than
the people who's rights they are defending.

OK, let's say you've decided that "suspected terrorists" don't have the same
civil rights as others - what about the innocent ones?  Don't all of them have
their right to a fair trial and so forth?  And if terrorists don't qualify, what
*other* classes of unpopular criminals don't deserve a fair trial? Child
pornographers?  Doctors that perform abortions? Tax cheats?  and so on....

Kind of reminds me of the Princess Bride.

"You keep saying 'civil liberties.' I don't think that means
what you think it means."

:)

--
Dave Dittrich                          Information Assurance Researcher,
dittrich () u washington edu              The iSchool

PGP key      http://staff.washington.edu/dittrich/pgpkey.txt
Fingerprint  FE97 0C57 0843 F3EB 49A1  0CD0 8E0C D0BE C838 CCB5