funsec mailing list archives

Re: WHAT TIMING!!

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 14:22:03 -0500

On 8/29/07, Oliver Schneider <Borbarad () gmxpro net> wrote:

Only one partial objection in cases where the "sports" is to train for killing.

It could be used as training for killing - as can a student driver
course or a pilot license training camp. Generally sport shooting is
for knocking over targets or putting holes in them. Often, the targets
are shaped like the torso of a man or an animal (and generally scaled
to imitate a particular distance).

So your country's soldiers are murderers?
Yes, if they kill. But I am not a citizen of Iceland and in any case it's not limited to my country, for that matter.

It doesn't matter what country. A soldier is not a murderer because he
kills. I hope those who have argued against my position in the past -
but have a kid or loved one in the armed forces take note - this is
the inevitable extreme of your belief.

There is no license to kill - for no one and from no one.

Where does this idea of yours come from? If religious - I"m unaware of
a single religion which forbids killing. If its not, well then, its an
atheist free-for-all - or it comes down to property rights.

In all of these instances, the morals concerning the taking of another
man's life is only MURDER to done to take that life as opposed to save
the life of another - or property, for that matter.

If you come home and find a man brutally beating and raping your
daughter, and you hit him over the head with a club of some sort -
killing him - you're a murderer?
Depends. Self defense is a touchy topic, but when defense becomes revenge, rather than simple defense, yes, then it
is murder (although it will be hard to prove if someone goes "over the top" in such a situation).

I see, so you really don't know what you believe, do you? You have to
train to kill if you want to be able to effectively defend yourself
and your loved ones.

The idea that the theoretical circumstances I describe could in ANY
way be construed as revenge is beyond belief.

How do you "change people" exactly?
If I had the answer, I wouldn't pose it as a question. But I understand myself as a scientist, so I search for
answers, rather than giving up and live with the (cruel) alternative.

Sounds like you'd like to pave a road with good intentions. No thanks.
Live and let live.

No, direct response to your question. You want to "change" people so
that they don't use firearms to kill one another - what is it that you
want them to kill each other with?
I don't want them to kill each other at all?! Oh wait, in response to your previous message that would mean we'd have
to get rid of the motive. Now how could we achieve that ...

LOL, good luck. Which motive?

Of course it is, wait for the next ice age...
True. But until then we "benefit" from global warming ...

I certainly haven't been. I'm out every morning emptying my wife's
cans of hairspray - still, the pool temp hovers at 82 degrees F... :(

--
Thank You,
Brian Loe