Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: hushmail.com, is this true?

From: "Gregh" <chows () ozemail com au>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 09:40:20 +1100

----- Original Message -----
From: <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu>
To: "james edwards" <hackerwacker () cybermesa com>
Cc: <full-disclosure () lists netsys com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 9:13 AM
Subject: Re: [Full-disclosure] hushmail.com, is this true?

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:51:07 MST, james edwards said:

No business can ignore a judges orders to produce whatever required
information.
The business can contest the request but if it is proven out the information
must be produced.

So tell me - what do you do when you get served a subpoena requesting all
your records regarding the development of a specified drug by Pfeizer?

Oh. You never *had* those records, because you don't keep them?  I see.... ;)

They can't force you to produce information you can prove you don't have...

Sorry for requoting in it's entirety but I couldn't find a way to snip that missed vital info if someone starts reading
at this point.

My question to you, Valdis, is how the heck can you prove something DOESN'T exist such as a record? You would have to
prove that whatever it is, I.T. related or even drug company drugs related, that you didn't keep records for all
similar things and then that would not be believed anyway.

You could, however, produce faked records supporting anything you want these days. Give a reasonable (not great) web
site builder an official looking domain name and 5 minutes and that person can be making the most outlandish statements
from a web site that shows itself looking respectable.

The only true way an investigator has of proving a point is their own ability to judge a situation, the people and
their knowledge of the field they investigate. "Trust me". :)

Greg.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html