Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Anti-MS drivel

From: Cael Abal <lists () onryou com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 09:27:17 -0500

Why is it possible that a user is able to make this mistake?

Oh COME now! Are you so INSULAR that you dont realise the real world? My
wife works for a MENSA member, a recognised genius who would likely have
more brain capacity than most people in the world. He doesnt have a CLUE how
to secure his computer. WHY? He isnt in the least INTERESTED in computers
outside of using them to do his work on. Oh and BTW, his work, nothing to do
with computers other than using them as a tool, made him a
multi-millionaire. Why the HELL should this guy, according to you, *HAVE* to
know what he is doing with a computer. He, likely, has more money than you
and I put together EVER will have unless one of us wins over 300 million US
dollars. In my book, this guy is devoting his time the best way possible.
Learning what to do with computers to the extent where he can lock it down
is actually financially irresponsible to him. He can PAY someone US$200 an
hour to do that and per hour STILL come out in front by a LONG shot.

What IS it with computer/I.T. professionals (or those who know as much even
if not so employed) that they think just because THEY know how to do it,
everyone SHOULD know? Not everyone is INTERESTED and not everyone thinks it

Greg,

I just wanted to break in here and suggest you reread Tobias' last few posts -- he's not arguing the position you seem to think he is. Actually, he's arguing almost completely polar to what you're attributing to him. Are you trolling?

If I understand him correctly, Tobias is simply suggesting that users ought not be held accountable for using faulty software. Using a debatable but reasonable definition of faulty software, as he does, it's really a fairly robust and straightforward argument.

take care,

Cael

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html