Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Anti-MS drivel

From: madsaxon <madsaxon () direcway com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 12:11:43 -0600

At 12:12 PM 1/20/2004 -0500, Mary Landesman wrote:

There is absolutely nothing I can do to secure my home from break-in. I can
minimize the risks, but I cannot alleviate the risk entirely. However, we
don't blame the builders when a home invasion occurs. We rightfully blame
the burglar.

The blame goes to the crackers and virus writers.

I am loathe to participate in yet around round of questionable
analogies, but if the builder provided you with door locks that
you had to install yourself, I believe the blame might shift
somewhat.  The issue here, if I've understood it correctly,
is that MS has historically been lax in providing security
mechanisms that operate "out of the box." In an increasingly
insecure environment, this is neither a credible nor responsible
business practice.

m5x

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html