Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Religion... was RE: Re: January 15 is Personal Firewall Day, help the cause

Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 09:33:22 -0600

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Wes Noonan wrote:

This is not quite correct. Nachia and Blaster, as well as Code Red and
its
variants are all detectable and preventable with virus protection.

All of those are Windows viruses, no?

Sure, but the statement, mistakenly made, was that virus protection does
nothing to protect against worms. I felt that it was worth pointing out that
your apparent anti-MS religion caused you to make an incorrect statement
(actually, it caused you to make a lot of incorrect statements, but folks
have already pointed that out). Perhaps you should spend a little bit of
time learning how to harden a windows system before you go advising folks
what they should be doing.

While
they may not stop the worm on the network, they can and do stop systems
from
becoming infected and propagating the worm.

So does mounting /tmp noexec, and it doesn't involve shelling out money
to AV vendors.  Mounting /tmp noexec also protects against future threats,
not just ones that happen to be in the AV database.

(I know that someone recently released code to do a "user-space" exec,
so mounting /tmp noexec is not 100% foolproof, but it's pretty good
protection.)

Well then, IMO you might want to invest in virus protection.

I'm curious, why is your solution which is not 100% foolproof "pretty good
protection", but installing virus protection which is not 100% foolproof is
a sham?

Really, it seems to me that a number of the "anti-virus scan" positions (and
indeed most of the anti-microsoft, ant-personal firewall, etc positions)
seem to have little substance beyond "I don't want to spend money".

Wes Noonan
mailinglists () wjnconsulting com
http://www.wjnconsulting.com

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.