Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Re: January 15 is Personal Firewall Day, help the cause

From: Ron DuFresne <dufresne () winternet com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 22:09:39 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Wes Noonan wrote:

Are you aware of any A/V desktop software for Linux?  I'm not.  So even
if I wanted to run A/V on our desktops, I couldn't.

Network Associates makes one. VirusScan for Unix. Been out for a while now,
at least a couple of years. There are others as well. Google "virus
protection software for linux".

A/V software will do exactly nothing to protect against worms that
exploit buffer overflows in running services.

This is not quite correct. Nachia and Blaster, as well as Code Red and its
variants are all detectable and preventable with virus protection. While
they may not stop the worm on the network, they can and do stop systems from
becoming infected and propagating the worm.

And there's a nice little perl action that Jay Dyson has coded up, called
"code Green" for those running apache!

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
        ***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html