Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: January 15 is Personal Firewall Day, help the cause

From: "David F. Skoll" <dfs () roaringpenguin com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:04:39 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Exibar wrote:

yes, Mcafee has one, I'm sure there are others as well.

Really??  I'm amazed.  Do you have a URL?  I don't know anyone who
runs A/V software on Linux unless it's to scan for Windows viruses.

Always a smart thing to do, but it's basically the same as not allowing
users to be local admin of their windows box.

Except that running as non-root on Linux isn't quite as constraining as
not having admin privileges on a Windows box.

Joe users off the street
isn't going to run the Linux install like that though, they'll want to run
as root because it's their box and they want to be God on it.

Well, I hope Joe User won't run as root more than necessary, but
you're right; education is required.  The modern Linux distros are
pretty good about forcing you to create a non-root account and
recommending that you use it.

[...]
   In stiving for 100% you'll reach a point around 98% secure that you can
no longer use the computer because the restrictions are too tight.

A 98%-secure Linux box is a lot less restrictive than a 98%-secure Windows
box, because Linux has fewer design flaws that need working around.

You just
have to accept that risk, such as you are accepting that risk when you don't
run A/V software.

Not running A/V software on a Linux box is no risk at all.  Even the
McAffee A/V software wouldn't detect a worm in time to do any good.
You can take the following simple precautions (which I do):  Mount /tmp
noexec, and if you're really paranoid, mount /home noexec also.  That
pretty much kills any propagation vector for viruses.

Regards,

David.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html