Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Anti-MS drivel

From: Miguel Mendez <flynn () energyhq es eu org>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 15:59:05 +0100

James Patterson Wicks wrote:

Microsoft has competition.  Apple, Sun, Red Hat . . .

It sure does, but not on the x86 desktop.

Problem is Apple is full of idiots who feature style over substance.
The system has to look better than it performs.  They want people to pay
a premium to make it seem that their products are for the elite only.
The OS is more stable than Microsoft, but their elitist attitude will
always keep them at 5% market share.

James, I don't know how old you are, or if you're just dim. Apple employs extremely talented people. Or do you think they just grabbed Mach and FreeBSD and threw out an OS without testing and engineering? They have people like Jordan Hubbard and Mike Smith working hard on the BSD side of things. They have extremely good people working on the UI side of things. Add to that the NeXT heritage and what you get is the finest desktop OS ever made, combined with the robustnes typically found in *ix systems. And cut the expensive hardware crap, that was true 10 years ago, not now. You can get a very nice Mac for a decent price these days. The fact is, OS X has had far less security problems than any desktop OS Microsoft has ever made.

Sun's Java should be the market leader, but they don't have the cash to
take on the 800 pound gorilla that is Microsoft.  Java is on running
Spirit, the rover that is on Mars right now.  Imagine if Spirit had a

Again, you don't know what you're talking about. Java has its place in the server, that's where it shines. Nobody uses java for desktop apps except when you want easy multi-platform support, and even then, there are other alternatives. Java is very strong in the middleware market, where it shows all its true potential.

Sorry, but the guy from the Help Desk can't just stop by and reboot it
this time.  Even NASA is not crazy enough to trust a billion dollar
project to a Microsoft OS.

Last time I checked Java was not an operating system.

Linux is just not ready for prime time.  By prime time I mean on the
homes of the American public.  Regular home consumers don't want to have
to learn a new language to use e-mail or play games.  They want to be
able to update a security hole without having to compile something.
Linux needs an interface like OS X and a software library to back it for
"normal" people to be interested.

Perhaps Microsoft's contracts with the major vendors also have something to do with this. OTOH, I do think there are Joe ComputerUser-ready linux distros. For people who use their computer to check e-mail, write some letters and browse the web, that is. I don't think a Mandrake or Knoppix system is that hard to learn. I'll give you the games thing, though. It's a catch-22 situation. The Linux market is too small, so little games are available, but few gamers will switch too linux if no games are available.

Business on the other hand is moving slowly to Linux.  Why slowly?  Who
do you sue when your business is hacked by someone who planted a
backdoor in the Linux kernel?  Won't happen you say?  Let's see, almost
happened once already . . .

You are so wrong. Businesses tend to be very conservative. If it works, don't touch it. That's why there are still IBM mainframes, that's why there are thousands of COBOL apps still running. Get a support contract with RedHat or SuSe. When a new worm comes out that infects your whole Windows network because some guy brought his laptop and bypassed your firewall, do you sue Microsoft?

Linux kernel suffers Trojan horse hack -
http://www.silicon.com/software/os/0,39024651,39116796,00.htm

Guess what, no operating system is perfectly bugfree.

Cheers,
--
        Miguel Mendez <flynn () energyhq es eu org>
        http://www.energyhq.es.eu.org

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html