Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: "firewalls are obsolete" rant

From: ArkanoiD <ark () eltex net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 13:03:04 +0300

nuqneH,

Well, i have an irc proxy that may block or pass dcc, what software do you
use on that firewall?

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 07:09:27AM -0500, Jim Seymour wrote:

"Hawkins, Michael" <MHawkins () TULLIB COM> wrote:

Now here's a rant http://patrioticduo.blogspot.com/
[snip]

"Partitioning is coming?"  On my network it's already here--in a wy.

Coincidentally, just yesterday afternoon an end-user got himself
blackholed on one of the firewalls for tripping over a simple IDS that
didn't like him poking at port 6667.

Turns out he wanted to see if he could IRC from the $work network.

Then he tried to talk me into allowing him to do so.  "Absolutely not,"
says I, "not using that electronic petri dish you call an ``operating
system.''"  Then he suggested I could limit him to using a text-based
IRC client.  "How am I going to accomplish that," I asked, "being as
you have administrator access to your machine?"

He actually has what sounds like a reasonable, work-related reason for
wanting to access a technically-related IRC network/channel.  I told
him if he wanted to use a Unix/Linux client approved by I.T., we could
discuss it.  But no client/desktop systems, particularly those from a
Certain Large Software Company, and *certainly* no client/desktop
systems over which the end-user has admin rights.

I wonder if there's a *good* IRC proxy out there that will block DCC
for me...?

Jim