Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: "firewalls are obsolete" rant

From: jseymour () linxnet com (Jim Seymour)
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 09:51:11 -0500 (EST)

Brian Loe <knobdy () gmail com> wrote:

I still have to ask why everyone is an admin on their local machine,

We have product developers that develop product that runs on those
boxes.  We have traveling users, running laptops, and certain aspects
of MS malware require Administrator rights in order to make those
laptops usable.

but beyond that I'm also wondering why you would spend the extra time
and money on an IRC client/environment at all. If the communications
are to be kept within the company, MS provides free software to do
that and you don't have to open it up to the 'Net. Here they install
Messenger on every system. You're not allowed off-network and can only
add users from AD.

These are extra-corporate communications being requested.  Not
*everybody* is on a 'doze box.  We don't use AD.  I cannot imagine why
anybody would necessarily trust MS's software over any others, anyway.

If you do need to include folks from off the network then why not use
one of the new whiz-bang web sites? Every vendor I've dealt with in
the last couple of years has either installed their own or has rented
time from a third-party.

These aren't vendor-customer communications being requested.

IRC isn't all that efficient at sharing ideas anyway - can't see how
anyone could make a business case for it.

Your opinion.  I happen to disagree.  I'm personally on (counts...) six
IRC channels on two IRC networks even as I type this.  Three are
"admin" type networks which result in *lots* of idea sharing and have
been invaluable to me.  The other three are open source project
channels, all three of which have sometimes provided *instant*
answers, and something email, Usenet news and web-based "boards"
cannot: Interactive (group) problem analysis and resolution.

Kind of wandering a bit far afield for this forum, aren't we?

Regards,
Jim
--
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is
web form at <http://jimsun.linxnet.com/scform.php>.