Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Re: Ethics, morality and the industry

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 13:34:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 MHawkins () TULLIB COM wrote:

Paul,

You use the term boycott but you have jumped an important ethical question
on your way to your opinion.

In order to disagree with the action of boycotting you would have to first
answer this question.

Are members of a group permitted to use various public actions to ostracize
felons in order to demonstrate your personal opposition to actions committed
by the felon that offend your moral or ethical view?

I'm not sure the boycotting is so much against their actions as much as
the actions of those helping to promote them because of their actions- but
it's an interesting question.

[snip]
I applaud those who have chosen to boycott the conference. Mitnick brings a
bad name upon all of us every day that he and his ilk continue on working in
this industry. A black hat will always be a black hat no matter how much
white washing you try to do.

Well, I was quite pleased to hear that TruSecure will be boycotting the
event, and not exhibiting.  While Bill Murray's decision was a personal
one, I'm really happy to see that as a company we're standing behind his
actions with equal action by the organization.

Paul