Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Re: Ethics, morality and the industry

From: Paul Foster <Paul.Foster () dmtsystems net>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 02:28:37 +1000

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
Paul Foster wrote:

Hopefully we can convince others to use their skill productively rather than becoming 'the enemy'.

How? By paying clowns with criminal records $15,000/keynote to gloat
about how clever they are? How exactly is that going to convince today's
script kiddie that being  3l33t doesn't pay?

Do script kiddies attend these conferences? I would think not, perhaps security professionals who could use some insight into the mind of resourceful and clever attackers?

My hope was likely naive, however a convicted criminal talking about the horrors of prison could be a good deterrent for the kiddies or more sophisticated folk out there. In many countries juvenile offenders are often taken to high security prisons to meet with inmates. I wouldn't expect many 'crackers' to be involved in these programs however.

Mitnick is good at what he does, and I would guess he's asked himself a few times "Why didn't I start consulting instead of breaking the law?"

-PF