Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Securing a wireless network

From: jseymour () linxnet com (Jim Seymour)
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 13:52:36 -0400 (EDT)

<chris () compucounts com> wrote:

At my so-called place of business, there exists a completely insecure
public wireless network that I wish to lock down (ignoring WEP, Radius,
and other wireless security methods).

Well, WEP is basically worthless, so I can understand that.  But why
ignore WPA + RADIUS?  You do understand that WEP or WPA is more than
just identification/authentication, right?  They also provide wireless
encryption, without which you might as well be sending a traffic feed
to the local radio broadcast station.

Even WPA-PSK might be "acceptable" (with a suitably-long PSK), *if* you
can tolerate the labour involved when a client has to be eliminated
from WLAN access.

I am looking for a means of forcing 'unverified' clients (by MAC
address?; not at all worried about spoofing) to run a script or program
of some sort before being able to interface with other network devices
(to scan for viruses, check software configuration, and whatever
else).
[snip]

Okay, quarantining mobile devices freshly-arrived on the $corp network
is a good idea.  But you're going to grant network access based on the
MAC address, and you aren't concerned about MAC address spoofing?  And
on a WLAN w/o encryption?

The general idea:
- unknown client connects to network and obtains IP from DHCP
- client opens web browser, and is redirected to some generic page with
instructions
- client follows instructions, runs script
- <slightly hazy with a chance of rain>
- client is assigned new [IP|VLAN|something else] and is able to
connect to the rest of the network

- Bad guy sniffing WLAN logs all this, waits for auth'd client to go
away, becomes auth'd client with spoofed MAC.

[snip]

Can anyone point me in some direction or offer a different solution?
[snip]

WPA + FreeRADIUS, for starters.  Haven't really come up with a good
idea for semi-automatically handling client decontamination, yet.

Jim